Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Daily Walk With God



I have recently received notes from several different people who are frequent readers of our blog.  Their questions were all different, but were similar in lots of respects.  Along with other comments and questions, all were basically asking for help with Bible study, Bible interpretation and one even asking about Bible relevancy.

Today's article certainly isn't a complete answer to the questions asked, but maybe a good start for those searching for deeper understanding and especially for the "how to" of Bible application to people today. 

I have been hearing for years about the benefits of keeping a journal.  Some have suggested a prayer journal, some a Bible reading journal.  Of course there are other categories  we could add to a journal so this may take some thinking and planning on your part to come up with what suits you and works best for you.

I have recently began a journal method for me which wraps just about everything into one journal.  I start each day with a blank page, making only the entry of the day's date. Then I start reading.  I read about 8-10 blogs or daily devotional articles, some a full page, and others only a paragraph or two.  From that reading, I ask myself some questions about what I have read.  Those questions might include which topics seemed to attract my attention that day.  Another question will inspect the Bible verses from my reading, which perked an interest for deeper study or the search for more meaning.  In addition, I will prompt myself to ask if anything I have read convinces me of the need to apply the things I have read to some area of my life which needs change or growth.

So by now, my dated page will include some articles in my reading which "spoke" to me, some Bible verses which support the truth and validity of the things I have studied that day, and some ways the truth affects me or ways it can be applied to my personal life.  All of that takes less than 30 minutes and they are the first 30 minutes of my day.  Throughout the day I will think on those things, and sometimes go back to the journal and write a few more comments. 

I always list on my journal page the people I pray for, the events I pray about, and some time in prayer for thanksgiving, personal things I wish to address with God, and a seeking of God's guidance in the subject matter of my daily writing.  

Yes, there are days when I feel like writing nothing in my journal.  I find on those days, before the day is over, I have had an encounter or an experience I wanted to list on the daily journal page.  I have also found the more I practice being aware of God's presence in everything, the more I have to write about. I do my journal on the computer, and save each day in a journal file. 

Like I said earlier, find a method that works for you.  Study with your Bible open, your dated page blank, and allow your journal to be a daily account of your prayers and your walk with God.  God bless.  

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>  

No comments:

Post a Comment