Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Trust in Him

I was looking forward to WhataBurger, but needed to stop for a few supplies at Wal-Mart.  While doing my shopping, I could hear the rain outside becoming more intense.  And since the rain storm was increasing in intensity, I decided to eat at Subway, because it was right there inside Wal-Mart.

While finishing my lunch, my cell phone began to emit a warning tone.  It wasn't just happening on my phone, but every cell phone in Wal-Mart, and Subway.  I reached for my phone to read the message, thinking it was just another of the numerous severe thunderstorm warnings everyone had been receiving.  But the message wasn't about the rain.  In fact, you could feel the fear of everyone reading their phone message.  "Tornado Warning for your immediate area.  Seek a place of safety immediately."

Being raised in Texas and actually seeing numerous tornadoes over the years, I wasn't too afraid, but I am admitting to some fearful thinking running through my head.  I had thoughts of a tornado actually hitting Wal-Mart.  The continuing thoughts concerned me not having a safe place to hide. Was this storm going to take my life?  Am I ready?

Then my thoughts took on a little humor when I realized my obituary would state I had died inside a Subway at Wal-Mart.  That wasn't what I had in mind for my final moments. I had rather die while sitting in church, surrounded by my friends. That even seems impressive because dying at church sounds better than dying on aisle 6 while looking at fishing rods.

I don't know how long I pondered these things, but it was long enough for me to realize the rain storm had stopped. Everyone would be safe because the storm had passed.  When I walked outside I could see the beautiful rainbow, and a hint of sunshine making its way between the clouds.

That's when my thinking turned to "The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows his handiwork."  I further realized  I belong to God and he belongs to me, and regardless of the outcome of my fears, I am in agreement with his will.  Look at Psalm 28:7 "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him."

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment