Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Honor where it is due



I really appreciated our church service on Sunday.  As has been a custom for a number of years, we paused to recognize those of our church who are veterans. We also watched a video which had been  prepared for the recognition of this special group of people. 

I was not selected to serve back in the day when the draft called my number. A lifetime of asthma and allergies eliminated me immediately, and they didn't continue the physical examination.  Those were the days of the Viet Nam war and I knew a lot of my classmates and friends answered the call to serve their country. My older brother was one that embarked on that adventure and returned home safely. We know others were not that fortunate.  The wars of past history bring memories of those who served well, yet gave their lives serving their country. Since I was born after WWII, I was robbed of ever knowing an uncle that was killed in France. The wars of recent history continue to make the same testimony. Freedom doesn't come cheap. There are those who still put themselves in harm's way to preserve the liberty and freedom we have as Americans. 

It meant a lot to me to see those men and women standing to be recognized at church.  We probably don't realize the extent of their sacrifice.  Pause and think with me for a moment, these are American citizens that place their lives on the line for every one of us. The thought of someone willing to fight for me to remain free, and even give their life for this country, is a sobering thought. Every day while we are about our busy lives and every night when we lay our head on our pillows, we know there are those who are protecting us and future generations.

In the church service, I was reminded of the Christian song that has been around a while, the one which draws a parallel between the Statue of Liberty, and the cross of Jesus Christ.  I don't remember all the words but the song speak s of our freedom that is signified by the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor. It is there for all who enter the harbor to see and know the country they are entering is one which stands for the liberty of its citizens. 

The song continues with wording that suggests the cross of Jesus is a sign of our spiritual liberty. While we remember our veterans, and rightly so, recognize them with salutes and applause on Veteran's Day, of much greater importance is the liberty we have from our mistakes, blunders, and sins. It was on the cross that God gave his only Son, and Jesus shed his blood, which is the cleansing agent for the sins of the world. We live in that dispensation known as the Age of Grace, because we were loved enough for God to give us the gift of his Son.

I pray there will always be those who devote their lives to the freedom of this country. They respond when necessary to insure our children and grandchildren will live free lives.  I also thank God who loves sinful mankind enough to give us the gift of his Son.  As that song suggests, it's the Statue of Liberty that stands for the liberty of the citizen, but it's the cross of Jesus that liberates the soul. Thank you God, that I can know them both. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment