Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Make my joy complete


I've been reading "SPIRITUAL CPR," by Todd Phillips.  My reading so far has been rewarding in my thinking and meditation, all along the lines of the ways our spiritual lives can receive a fresh wave of renewal.  Those who work in the medical field will appreciate the sub-title of the book, "Reviving a Flat-lined Generation."

Can we individually use such a revival?  The next question is obvious.  Can we collectively as members of the body of Christ, use such a revival?   My thoughts today come from a chapter of the book called, "Your Very Own Spiritual Fountain of Youth."  It centers around the subject of the Christian's joy, and how much God desires us to be a people of joy.  Look at these verses from 1 John.

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

Directing you to the very next verse, 1 John 1:4,  We write this to make our joy complete.

I detect there is something about John's opening verses concerning the personal testimony of those who had seen and heard and even touched Jesus, and that brings a completeness to their joy when they write about the fellowship between humans and deity.   Look at a couple more verses.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.  John 15:9-11

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Philippians 2:1-2.

Spend a moment in meditation about the love God has for his Son, how the Son loves us, and the encouragement for us to remain in his love.  Keeping the Lord's commandments and remaining in his love brought joy to Our Lord,  so we could experience complete joy.

Even Paul, in the verse from Philippians encourages his readers to make his joy complete by being one in spirit and of one mind.  Joy, in Paul's writings, is more than happiness.  It includes a union with Jesus, comfort from his love, sharing the spirit, tenderness and compassion, and being one in spirit and mind.

The message from Todd Phillips' book speaks to you and me as we navigate through a world filled with those who have no joy.  Adding to the sadness of that situation is the possibility for Christians to lose their joy. 

Lord, bring us to learn and experience the completeness of our joy through our faith and obedience.  We face heartbreak and disappointment, suffering and hurting, unfairness and anger.  May we open our hearts to receive your love and grace, and continue to share you with our neighbor.   --Amen

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment