Pages

Monday, January 18, 2016

The Winter Blues

I know it's "that" time of year, but I do not like cold weather. Yes, I will complain again in August, about the heat, but for some reason, I really prefer the heat over the cold.  I am blessed to live in a part of the state where it rarely snows, but frosty mornings are too cold for me.

Add another bit of reality to the cold temperatures, this time admitting I am a senior citizen and our joints and muscles are more likely to hurt and have their snaps, crackles and pops.  Winter weather aggravates the places on the body which are already sensitive.

I do respect the changing of seasons but if I had my way, the winters would be milder and the summers would be cooler.  My mind is made up to allow God to be in control of those things.  After all, my complaining about the weather has never changed the temperature or halted a rain storm.

Winter months can be depressing.  Some are confined to the indoors and develop cabin fever, longing for brighter skies and warmer breezes.  Even with the coming of a new year, which should cause me to think of new beginnings and greater accomplishments, I'm still going to cast my vote against cold weather.

It was while trying to get warm near the heater this morning, I was reminded of something much more important. In spite of my feelings about the cold, God still supplies me with the blessing of new mercies every morning.  (Lamentations 3:22-23)  I need the daily renewal of God's mercies for me.  It's as if we have a booster shot of God's love and mercy for us at the beginning of each new day.

There is another verse which gets me over the depressing days of winter.  Psalm 25:10 says, "The LORD leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep his covenant and obey his demands."  Following the one who leads with unfailing love and faithfulness can lift us beyond the depression of dreary days and the long nights of worry.  Our difficulties and even our failures find answers only in him.  I will toss another log on the fire and stay warm, thanking him for today's new mercies, and following his unfailing love and faithfulness.

ronbwriting@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment