Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

'Tis the Season



I do not think it was a mistake for Thanksgiving Day, in our country, to be placed so close to Christmas. We come right out of a period where our focus has been on being people who are thankful for blessings and gifts and families. Then we are primed to go into the season in which we traditionally give gifts to those we care about. 

While I will agree with those who claim Christmas is over commercialized, I also know that Christians who are filled with gratitude also want to be givers.  Some people seem to be motivated to  giving needful things and gifts all the time, and they will be the first to let you know that God has blessed them so they want to pass some of that blessing on to others. 

It is a biblical truth that those who are good stewards over the blessings they have received from God, will be blessed even more.  It only stands to reason that a huge part of that stewardship includes helping the poor, the sick, the imprisoned......anything we can do to help those in need.
So we enter the season of giving and receiving gifts. Our lists are filled with the names of family members and close friends.  It is natural for us to make plans to visit with family, to celebrate the season with friends, and in some instances to exchange gifts. We even celebrate this as the season of God's perfect gift to us; the gift of his Son and his miraculous entrance into the world. Everything points to gifts and giving. 

Now with this thought on our minds, let's pause as Christians and examine our commanded obligations to be a blessing to the poor and less fortunate.  Read these verses closely:

 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’  “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’  “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’  Matthew 25:34-40

I am so thankful to be a part of the Body of Christ, recipients of God's gift, who look not only to celebrating the Jesus child by exchanging gifts, but reaching beyond that to see the blessing they can become to those in need. Sharing the gift, and sharing the blessings, will bring us into the spirit of the Christmas season, and will bring glory to our Heavenly Father. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment