Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fishing for People



Mark 1:16-18
16 As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 17 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 18 At once they left their nets and followed him.

If you have been reading this blog for very long, you already know......I love to fish!  Maybe that's the reason when I see a verse of Scripture that has even the slightest implication of fishing, it perks my interest. 

I can tell fish stories, even some that are true.  There was a time I landed a 25 pound yellow catfish during a winter storm. There were other fishing trips where I caught more than one fish. In fact, I caught a lot of fish, but they weren't large enough to keep. Fishing from the shoreline, from the dock, or even from a boat, I will attempt to catch whatever is biting. 

The men in the story above were already fishermen. They were what we call today "commercial fishermen," in that they made their living catching fish.  One day Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee and he saw Simon and Andrew fishing. They were busily casting their net into the lake for the day's catch, when Jesus said something very strange to them. "Come, follow me, and I will send you out to fish for people."

So these two men, who were making their living by fishing, were asked by Jesus to change their occupation. He wants them to be sent out to fish for people. Changing jobs always presents interesting situations in life. We want to know how much the new job pays. Is there a benefit package? Will I be able to better myself by taking the new job?  

None of these questions were asked. There was just something about this man Jesus. The words he spoke and the way he spoke them caused Simon and Andrew to leave their family business and follow after him. But there was one major difference in the fishing they would now be doing. They are going to be fishing for people.  When I go fishing and catch fish, I have very little regard for the fish other than my hopes that the fish will taste good. I am the one who reaps the benefits of the catch. 

The people Simon and Andrew will be fishing for will be reaping the benefits. In their "fishing" they will be introducing people to Jesus, the Savior of the world. So I ask, "Are you ready to go fishing for people, too?"  

This is a lesson of love.......the love we have for all mankind to come to know Jesus and the spiritual benefits he brings to life. When we Christians develop the proper love for the people of this world, we, too, will sharpen our fishing skills. We will be leaving some things behind to follow Jesus as he sends us out to fish for people. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment