Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

I am the vine.....



Most of my state has been experiencing a drought.  Lots of places have been under water usage restrictions for a year or more. The results are gardens that do not produce, grass that is brown, and countless trees which have died.

Recent rains in some areas have brought temporary relief, but predictions are for less than average rainfall during the remainder of this year. Right now, where I live, things are green and pastures are yielding some grassland for livestock. Gardens are flourishing and producing flowers and vegetables.

It's during this time of the year when I am reminded of one of the most important claims of Jesus. Recorded in John 15, Jesus makes the claim, "I am the vine."  John 15:5.

Jesus began a progressive description of this claim with the words spoken in John 15:1-4. “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

So Jesus likens himself as the true vine, and the Father is the gardener. The responsibilities of the gardener are easily understood. The non-productive branches are removed, and the productive branches are pruned so they can bear even more fruit. Jesus further explains that a branch cannot bear fruit by itself, it must remain connected to the vine. Then our Lord drives home the point for us when he says, "You cannot bear fruit unless you remain in me."

The verses which follow give us more information about this life giving relationship we have with the Son of God.  “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:5-8

This is where you can see your part in remaining in the vine-branch relationship with Jesus. He promises if we remain in him, he will remain in us, and we will bear a lot of fruit. We are then given the reminder, "apart from me, you can do nothing."  The truth before us again is easily understood. If we do not remain in him, then we become the branch that is thrown away and withers and ends up being burned. 

With these illustrative words concerning the vine and branches, can we see the problems in non-productive churches and individuals?  Jesus says the trouble begins when we fail to remain in relationship with him. There are some promises in the verses above which we may claim, and some warnings which prove to be good lessons for us. 

The final verse speaks more of our relationship with the Lord. "This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."  God desires that you produce fruit for his glory, while showing yourself to be the disciple of the Lord, Jesus. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment