Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Hallelujah!



“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine."   
Isaiah 43:1

Last Tuesday was the day our government shut down, and in my writing that day, I attempted to encourage everyone to understand the government is not our source.  God is still in control and while confusion and fears may abound, the evidences of our faith should abound even more.  That evening I received a response from someone who was viewing the government shutdown with the same degree of fear and concern that he would view the death of a family member. 

Yes, as an American I am concerned with what happens in Washington, but my point earlier was simple: Whatever happens in Washington does not dictate a style of living which is contrary to the lifestyle to which God calls me.  I am not going to stop loving God, because he promises to keep on loving me.  

Even greater than the reasons I gave in the article earlier in the week, and the reasons in the above paragraphs, the words delivered by Isaiah offer every Christian an abundance of confidence.  Through the prophet, God is telling us to not be afraid because we have been redeemed. God calls us by name and we are his!  Hallelujah! 

In the Gospel of John, Jesus is announcing his departure to the disciples and offering them his words of confidence and hope.  There are two of these assurances in chapter 14, so let's look at them.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God ; believe also in me."

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Those words were spoken by the Lord to his closest followers, to produce a spirit of calmness during the events that were about to happen.  He gave them the promise that the Holy Spirit was coming and would live in them and be to them a source of power and direction. Yes, even Jesus' followers were afraid for him to leave them, so he is letting them know, there is no reason to fear.

Likewise, when we face difficulties like a quarreling government and we have no idea how long it will last or how devastating things will be, do the concerns we all share dictate our every thought or word or deed?  Of course not.  

Jesus told his followers he was leaving them with peace.  He even gave them his peace. It's not like the peace the world can give us.  We have the peace of Christ, delivered to us and abiding in us by the Holy Spirit of God.  Again I say, Hallelujah!

Join me in prayer for our leaders that our land can come to know that same peace......that our leaders may reach those agreements that are best for America and her people.......and above all, pray that God will heal our land.  Let us strive to become and maintain our country as a God-fearing country, knowing that we must have the peace that only God can give.

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment