Pages

Monday, April 4, 2016

Changes


Is it time for a change? I'm referring to a change in your life.  Most of us have settled into our comfortable place in life and have become a master at rejecting change. However, a close examination will often reveal needed changes. 

We know of the changes that should be made when we take on the name of Jesus and become a Christian. Paul says, "If anyone is in Christ he is a new creation; the old has passed away and the new has come."  That's quite a change, but even then we struggle with being the person God wants us to be. In our comfort zone we settle for mediocrity, usually because we are not willing to change. 

I remember once taking my Chevy S-10 pickup truck off-road. Although it wasn't designed for off-road driving, I thought it could go anywhere. Soon I found myself high centered on a mound and the rear wheels of the truck were off the ground. I wanted to go forward, I needed to go forward, but the truck just couldn't accomplish that. Likewise, our lives become high centered with the things of this world and while we desire to move forward and need to move forward, the motivation just isn't there. 

Many Christians find themselves in this position when it comes to having a closer walk with God or taking on new challenges that would increase faith.  One thing is sure, we are not going to realize the change to make those things happen unless we start.  John Henry Newman is credited with the quote, "Fear not that your life shall come to an end, but rather that it shall never have a beginning."  

Our lives in Jesus should be experiencing constant change. Remember we are to be growing more and more into the likeness of Christ. An examination of self will help us realize where we came from, where we are now, and where we are going.  Where we came from is easy to diagnose. As a Christian you have been "delivered from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of His dear Son." Where we are now is our time to look inward to see the maturing changes which need to happen. Then the answer of where we are going is obvious, we are heading for eternal life.

I am happy I do not have to carry my sins with me into eternity. Jesus died so sins could be forgiven. I also do not want to take a life of mediocrity into eternity. I want to experience the fullness of this life by making spiritual things priority, growing by experiencing all the ups and downs of daily living, knowing that regardless of what happens, I belong to God and he is going to take care of me. 

There are some Bible verses that prove this is the kind of life God chooses for us, and even offers to help in our quest for spiritual maturity.  In the sermon on the mount, Jesus begins one section by saying, "Do not be anxious about your life," and ends that section by saying, "seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."  He will be there for us. He promises his provision for us when we are truly seeking him.  Then there is the verse that says, "My God will supply all your needs according to his riches." Believe him. Trust him. Take the first step of your start toward changing everything about you that prevents you being like Jesus 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment