Pages

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Test Me, Try Me


Vindicate me, Lord,
    for I have led a blameless life;
I have trusted in the Lord
    and have not faltered.
 Test me, Lord, and try me,
    examine my heart and my mind;
 for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love
    and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.  
Psalm 26:1-3

First glance at this psalm might cause us to think David is writing these things from a boastful point of view.  Closer examination of the entire segment of scripture opens our eyes to the deeper meaning of integrity.  Who are the Christians at your church that you know to be people of integrity?  What is it about them that makes you classify them as such?

In the bold printed text above, David is establishing himself as a man who really desires to live according to the principles of God.  God's truth is primary to him and this has come about through David's total reliance on the faithfulness of God.  I often wonder if we would be as inviting as David when he asked the Lord to test him and examine his heart and his mind.  It takes a person of integrity to be that open. 

The verses which follow give us more information about David, all of which are points of reference for us to make similar evaluations about ourselves.  David briefly proclaims he is not going to be influenced by those who live lives of wickedness and hypocrisy.  Instead, he spends his time and focuses his influence on proclaiming the goodness of God and sharing the news about God's wonderful deeds. 

My favorite picture of David comes in the next section of the psalm where he says, "Lord, I love the house where you  live."  Now let's ask ourselves if we really know where God lives.  He isn't isolated to one place, he isn't limited by borders, and he isn't bound by pretty structures of bricks and wood.  When we come to fully understand that God dwells inside us, we then grasp the truth that where we are, God is.  In the form of His Spirit, God makes his abode in the hearts and lives of his people.  This carries tremendous connection to the Christian and worship.  Don't think this means God lives in the church building.  That building is just a building until the people of God assemble.  Then there is a multitude of hearts, filled with God, joining together to worship and praise him.

The two lines which end Psalm 26 are these:

  My feet stand on level ground;
    in the great congregation I will praise the Lord.  
Psalm 26:12

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment