Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Praying or Reasoning


I am not late with this message.  I know yesterday was the National Day of Prayer, but I wanted to see just how "national" it was  before I offered my encouragement for you to be a praying follower of Jesus Christ.  While prayer is practiced almost universally, it remains one of the most understood and yet great mysteries of Christianity. 

Columnist Wendy B. Mclain reported yesterday that one of our U.S. Congressmen, representing District 13 of California, Pete Stark, an atheist, proclaimed the day a National Day of Reason. Stark said, "' The National Day of Reason celebrates the application of reason and the positive impact it has had on humanity." I confess to you, I have difficulty understanding the point he is trying to make in that sentence. My only reply is that whatever impact the application of reason has had on humanity, is dwarfed by the impact the application of prayer has on humanity. 

The very mention of the subject of prayer sends the minds of Christians in numerous directions. I remember as a kid in worship services in a small wood framed building with theater seats, how the men would slide out of their seats and kneel down on one knee during the congregational prayer. I longed for the day when I would be old enough to do that, too.  Now that I am here, the practice is no longer observed and we men pray while standing with the congregation or while everyone is seated. 

You can probably relate "prayer stories" in your experiences.  I remember one little girl reported to her mother, the names of all the people she saw during prayer that didn't have their eyes closed. And when a teenager, I got tickled every time one particular prayer leader in our church used the line, "Lord we pray for those who are sick of this congregation." 

Here are some things the Bible says about prayer, and I encourage you to read the referenced scriptures and always lead a prayerful life. 

1. God promises to give you wisdom, if you ask for it.  James 1:5
2. God promises to honor persistent prayers.  Matthew 7:7
3. God promises our prayers are never ignored.  Psalm 9:12
4. God promises results from our prayers.   James 5:16
5. God promises our prayers usher us into His presence.  Psalm 145:18
6. God promises to hear those prayers that are in accordance with his will.  1 John 5:14

I don't know about you, but after seeing God's promises associated with our prayers, I am going to stick with every day being a day of prayer.  I challenge you to do likewise and see the impact which the application of prayer will have on humanity, your home life, your work life, your relationships, your worship......everything that brings God's blessings and grace your way. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment