Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

More Than Conquerors


I know what the verse says, and deep down I am a testimony of its truth. We really are more than conquerors through Jesus Christ.  That little verse from Romans 8:37 has brought peace in a lot of life's storms, assurance to replace doubt, and hope when there was nowhere else to turn. 

Here it is with the supporting verses that follow:

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,  neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,  neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 8:37-39.

Paul's words at the conclusion of chapter 8 in Romans serve as a springboard for us to not only live according to the Spirit within us, but to continually maintain our certainty of the victory that is ours in Jesus Christ. The list is there for you to read, straight from scripture, "nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  

I confess to you that I felt like less than a conqueror when I heard the news of the movie theater shootings last week. Something like that takes the wind from our sails and even longtime Christians struggle to find answers, when there are so many questions without answers. While I know none of the people who were in that theater, I recognize this is a strike against all people in our country when we realize it could have happened in the community where we live. And even those of us miles removed from the situation feel the hurt and the agony of those families involved, and long to reach out to them with assurances of our care and concern.

Likewise I see the struggles of people all around me and often wonder what I can do to help. Jesus does command that we do what we can, and we have the example of the early Christians sharing with each other and even helping those  in other locations.

While wrestling with myself about what I might do to help in these situations, large and small, I found my only source in really helping comes from God's love that is always present.  As we share the scriptures about his love, and being more than a conqueror, we find the same confidence that Paul proclaimed. No gunman, no terrorist, no army of invaders, and nothing else can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. 

We can move on in life, continuing our journey, by walking in faith and dependence on God. A relationship with the Divine, brings the victory of a conqueror. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment