Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Identifying with Paul



If we were asked to identify with one Bible character, no doubt most would wish to identify with Jesus Christ.  After all, we are encouraged to live Christ-like lives. The things he taught, the people he touched, the multitudes that followed him, all testify that no life remained the same after an encounter with Jesus. 

Think for a moment of other Bible characters, to see if there is someone else that comes close to you, in their message, their conduct, or the way they react with people. Some who have leadership qualities might pick Moses or Abraham. These are two which definitely possessed the traits necessary in leading people. 

Maybe you would select one of the prophets because of some truth they conveyed to the people or the way they handled various situations. Some of you might select Jeremiah or Isaiah as one that closely relates to your life. 

I am going to say right here the one I think I most closely identify with is Paul. Maybe it is the way Paul traveled to unknown places, converting people to Christianity, or his hard work in establishing churches throughout his travels. I admire that in a devoted Christian.

Paul's message of the gospel and its relation to the lives of everyone is evident from his preaching and his writing. The letters to churches in various locations give testimony of his concern for their well being, and encouragement for their work. 

Of all the good things we can say about Paul, I must say the reason I can identify with him is because of his confession in the Book of Romans that he still struggles with sin. Look closely at some of the things he has to say,

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.  I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do.

For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

Those are exerts from his discussion which you can read in Romans 7:14-21.  This preaching, church planting, missionary traveler says he struggles with sin.  (Sound familiar?)  Even Christians still wrestle with their sinful nature, and the decisions we make every day may reflect that we often function in the flesh and not the Spirit. Paul felt that himself. Perhaps we all do.  Is there a solution?

Paul gives the solution in the final words of Romans 7, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment