Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

The Entertainer



It isn't often I give reports of weekend activities but on this Monday I want to share the story of an event which started early Saturday morning and ended very late Saturday night. I will back up a little further to give you some background. It all started a week or so ago when my daughter called with an invitation for me to bring a booth full of "man cave" items and be a vendor at an all day Rodeo. The day would be ending with a bar-b-que and concert. 

Our day on Saturday started early. It began with loading the final things in the van, stopping off at an antique mall, then on to set up our booth and make a bundle of dollars selling items from our inventory, aimed primarily at the men shoppers. The all-day show wasn't a total flop. We did make our expenses, plus a little "folding money," but I was one that had my sights set a little higher than that.  I probably don't have to tell you how hot it was, and how much we were moving around in attempts to stay in the shade.

In the heat of the afternoon, the band started setting up their equipment in the pavilion, and the testing of all that electronic equipment caught my attention. The entertainer was Aaron Watson, and his crew was making sure all the sound levels were perfect, all the lighting was perfect, and all the microphones were set just right so they wouldn't be producing feedback.   I strolled over their way to look at a display of all the t-shirts they had for sale. They probably had about 20 styles in various colors, and with at least a dozen designs.  Right in the middle of that display I noticed something else. It was a poster promoting World Vision.  I have written about World Vision a couple of times, and its founder, Richard Stearns. He also is the author of the book, The Hole in the Gospel. 

Our church has been a part of several campaigns to support World Vision in their efforts to supply the needs to children in various parts of the world. It took me a while to put two and two together, but I suddenly realized, Aaron Watson, this country performer, was also promoting the work of World Vision. 

When the concert started, I was equally impressed with this entertainer as he talked about his wife and family and the support they were for his music. Aaron Watson is obviously not about all the things we might associate with the lifestyle of other performers. He was definitely a family man with high morals, and a man who shared the message of the gospel and righteous living through the songs he sings. 

It caused me to wonder if we, God's children, carry the message of the cross through our vocation, our participation in whatever job we have, or just in the associations we have in our work, our schools, and our neighborhoods.  It is so refreshing, and what Christianity is all about, when we can see it evidenced in the lives of others, when we least expect it.  Thanks, Aaron for a great show, and for sharing Jesus to that crowd on Saturday night. 

Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven."

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment