Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The skunk and me



We had been working out of town for several days and the hour was late, but I had to find a convenience store to get a bag of ice for our ice chest.  It couldn't wait until morning.  Our food would spoil.  So I was in search of the closest store that could sell a bag of ice. 

I spotted the well lit store and pulled my truck alongside several other cars already parked.  I made sure I had my keys, opened my door and turned in the seat to exit the truck.  I found myself looking face to face with the dirtiest, scariest, and perhaps one of the most outcast people I had ever seen. He saw the fright in my face, and quickly apologized for scaring me.  He said, "Sorry sir, I didn't mean to frighten you, I just wanted to warn you about that skunk right in front of your truck." 

Somehow, I gathered the words to thank him for the warning, and got back in my truck.  That man which scared me out of several years growth, had saved me from walking innocently around the front of my truck while on the way to the door of the store. 

I sat there a while, only able to occasionally see the tail of the skunk.  He wasn't moving around much and I sure didn't want him coming toward me.  Then I started the truck and slowly backed away.  To my surprise, the young skunk was calmly eating dried dog food from a cardboard box.  He was not  concerned about me being there, he was just having his dinner.

I finally exited the truck again, walking around the back of the truck and further away from the skunk, and made it inside the store.  There were several people laughing, and it became apparent they had been watching my reaction.  The store clerk explained he saw the young skunk searching for food a couple of weeks ago, and started leaving the dog food out on the sidewalk every evening.  The skunk had been the guest of the storekeeper nightly, showing up about the same time to feast on the food left for him.  I have no idea how friendly that skunk would have been if I had innocently walked up on him. I imagine he would have done what skunks do, and I would still be trying to rid myself of the smell. 

But now, several days later, I am still thinking about that dirty, ugly-looking man who was kind enough to warn me about the skunk.  I forgot about him when I focused on avoiding the skunk, and the man had disappeared in the darkness. 

Maybe I should have gone looking to thank him again, or offer to buy him a Coke and a sandwich.  I do know the drive from the convenience was only a few blocks, but that man was on my mind as I drove.  He had saved me from calamity.  Maybe he couldn't help his appearance, but I wanted to do something nice for him.  The opportunity was there for a moment, but then it was gone forever.  I just kept thinking about Jesus' words in Matthew 25.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’  ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me’  Matthew 25:35-36; 40.

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment