Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

Developing Our Faith

The gospel according to John ends with these words, "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.John 21:25

The four gospel narrators in the New Testament each give their own perspectives of the life of Christ, from his birth through his resurrection. Some might consider their words contradictory, however more than one person telling the same story will bring about different viewpoints of witnessing the same events. The above verse leaves me intrigued. If Jesus did many other things, I want to know about all of them.  I want to know every word he spoke, each miracle he performed, and every life he touched.  I especially want to know about what he had to say following his resurrection. Were there any last minute instructions he gave as he ascended into the clouds?  Did he give any indication of specific areas of work or service where we need to busy ourselves? You, too, could probably come up with a long list of questions. 

John wrote a similar statement, somewhat like the one above, but a little more inclusive. " Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.  But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."  John 20:30-31

Jesus spoke those words right after his conversation with Thomas, the apostle which had doubted until he actually touched the wounds in Jesus' hands and side.  Thomas knew beyond a doubt this was Jesus, the Christ. Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
 
I may want to know more about what Jesus said and did, but John is assuring me the record of the gospels is adequate in bringing me to believe. He further assures me that my belief will lead me to life in Jesus' name. 

I could tell you the story of the virgin birth of Jesus, and perhaps you would believe. I could tell you the story of Jesus restoring the sight of a blind man, and you could believe that. I could give you examples of Jesus showing us love is the better way in dealings with our neighbor, and that is something else you can believe. John says all these things are written that you may believe. 

However my quest for those final words; his admonitions and instructions for us who live during the time before he returns.....all of that remains a mystery.  Or does it?

Jesus did have something more he wanted us to keep in our hearts and on our minds. It's in a statement he makes three times in the closing chapter of Revelation. Read it, study it, and live like you believe it. Jesus said, "I am coming soon."  Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

1 comment:

  1. Jesus also told certain churches in Rev. 2-3 that he was coming soon to them in different ways: like coming to remove their "lampstand," (2:5) or to "fight" against them with the "sword" of his mouth (2:16), or to open the door to heaven for them if they hold fast what they have until they die (3:7-8,11). I think the "coming soon" in Rev. 22 is especially like that of Rev. 3:7f.

    ReplyDelete