Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Praise I Deserve



Today we are featuring the art work of my great-niece, Brylie.  I am probably going to be prejudiced by our blood-kin when I say, "She is doing some great works of art."  While I think it is great, perhaps her analysis of the outcome of the competition was more revealing.  Here is the quote:

"Well, that didn't go how I thought it would. I didn't get to go up on a stage."

I warned you of my prejudices, and although I didn't get to see any of the competition, I want to be near the head of the line of her greatest art fans.

Then I thought of the number of times I caught myself thinking, "I did a great job but it's apparent nobody noticed!"  That can be true in our school work, our jobs, our volunteer work, our church work, and even the work we do around the house.  We don't mind the task if only someone would notice and give us a word of thanks and encouragement.  We go beyond that and get to thinking we don't want to do any more work in those areas where we don't receive the recognition we think we deserve.

Paul wrote to the Colossian church and in Chapter 3 of that letter begins with some things we need to avoid, because they can separate us from God.  Then he mentions some things we need to keep in our lives to maintain our relationship with the Father.  Then comes verse 17, "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

One thing I failed to mention about Brylie, she is God's little girl and amazes me at how much she has already learned and lived in spiritual matters. Her quotes may be humorous at times, but when it comes to Bible themes, she is usually right on.  Today, I chose to write about her because I wanted the chance to encourage her to keep going with her art work. Just because she didn't get to go up on stage, she should not give up, but keep on drawing and coloring.  I know her to be one to do the things she does to bless others and to give praise and glory to God.  At such a young age, she is an example to all of us. 

The next time you feel your praises have been overlooked, and you are tempted to give up because you "didn't get called up on stage,"  remember that doing your work in the name of the Lord Jesus will always lead to success.  You are doing your work to glorify God and to praise him. 

Children give us the best look at ourselves. I hope they continue to teach me. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment