Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

They make me cry



Last year in June I was preparing myself mentally and emotionally for surgery.  I placed myself in the hands of some highly recommended doctors to replace a hip and make me like new again.  The surgery was a snap for me, not much pain and discomfort following my hospital stay.  Then came the rehab, aka physical therapy. 

There are some bad people in our world, and in my estimation, physical therapists are near the top of the "bad" list.  Their job is to get your ailing body part(s) functioning properly again, through strength-building exercises, practicing routine mobility of the affected part(s), and pushing yourself as far as you can go, physically.  That sounds like a noble job, but in the case of my physical therapists, they never even smiled unless they had made me cry.  What kind of job is that?  Intentionally making the patient sob in pain, and bringing his body to the edge of exhaustion. 

Following all the pains and discomfort of getting well, I realized the tears were worth it.  I recovered the use of my left side and had could now walk, sit, stand, and even drive without pain.  That is, until I suffered a fall, landing on my new hip and breaking my femur, the upper leg bone.  There I was again, not able to put weight on my leg for another eight weeks. 

The time has passed, and I had been doing some walking without the aid of crutches, walker, or cane, and I did it again.......I went to the ground on one knee. No broken bones this time, but my doctor recommended going through another series of physical therapy.  Yep, those people that didn't think they were doing their jobs, unless the patient sheds tears. I am seeing them again and crying again.
We all know, the healing process is sometimes painful. That's where we get the phrase, "no pain, no gain."  I want to add to that and say in some instances, the more pain you experience, the stronger you can become. 

James writes about a Christian's trials and lets us know they come our way for a reason.  He says,
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."   James 1:2-4

I don't like going to physical therapy, but I know it has to happen if I am to ever be successful in my mobility again.  I also do not like those things which come my way in the Christian walk, that interfere with my schedule, my priorities, my routine, ....... my everything!  James says those trials can come in many kinds, but they test our faith and that produces perseverance.  When we let perseverance complete its work, we grow, even to the point of maturity. 

Our trials may bring some pain and some tears.  I have a tough time equating that with the "pure joy" attitude which James says we should have.  That's part of the growth process, or even the process of falling and getting up to try again and again.  It's then we can see God turning our tears into pure joy.

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment