Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

God's Unchanging Hand



It's been a lot of years but I still remember how excited we were that mom and dad were going to a school reunion over the weekend, and we, my older brother and I, didn't have to go.  We had been in previous years when we were younger, and it was always a good time to get up a basketball game or a baseball game if there were enough kids there.   This time, we got to stay home and be the men of the house. 

We hooked up with a couple of the other guys from church and did some cruising, looking for others we knew, and sometimes even talking about girls.  We found ourselves at the A & W Root Beer stand and decided we would pool our money and buy a gallon of root beer.  Then we all headed to our house to watch the late show on TV and drink all the root beer we could drink.   I thought about that night while surfing through a facebook page about our home town, an there were pictures of the A & W.  About all I remember about the late show on TV that night is, I had made myself sick on root beer and didn't feel like being sociable or watching movies. 

While all that was going on, mom and dad were visiting with old friends and family at the school reunion.  I wondered if they were having a good time, talking about all their new ailments, and especially their next doctor appointments.  No doubt some were showing pictures of their kids while telling stories about their school days. 

Times have changed.  Most kids don't have to be teen-agers to be home alone these days.  I haven't checked this, but I doubt if A & W sells root beer in a brown glass gallon jug anymore.  Even the late shows aren't worth watching.  Ok, I'll continue to let you know I have had my share of doctor appointments.  The refrigerator in my kitchen used to be covered with pictures colored by the grandkids.  Now it's covered with those doctor appointment cards. 

All those changes, and I haven't even mentioned I used to like the color of green, but now my favorite color is blue.  At some point during my lifetime, my preference in favorite colors changed and I can't tell you when or why it happened. 

My space is limited here, but I am going to ask, how do you handle change?  Sometimes I wish for the good  'ole days and sometimes I welcome change.   How about you?  Are there any noteworthy changes that have happened to you?   Let me list a few and you can see if there are any which apply.  Weight change, hair color change, job change, address change, school change, church change, etc.   Wouldn't it be nice if there were things in life we could count on being the same, never changing?

As long as we are alive, we will face changes.  That is part of life itself.  But hang your hat on this truth from the book of James in the New Testament,  " Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  God doesn't change.  He is seeking you with his love, his grace, and his forgiveness.  Hang on to your unchanging God.  He will be hanging on to you.

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment