Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Let's make a wish list



James 1:17  "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change."

Philippians 4:6  "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."

The idea of thanksgiving becomes an automatic practice for the child of God.  While we may often forget to tell God "thank you,"  the very lifestyle of Christians should show they are a thankful being toward their gift-giving God.  We readily admit we would be in a hopeless condition were it not for God's provisional nature toward us.  That's why we thank him for our food, our homes, our families, and on and on to include everything we are and everything we have.  He is a loving God whose love toward us is seen daily in the abundance of blessings he provides.

Are there times when you feel God has shorted you, especially in the "blessings" department?  We see our neighbor prospering and having things we have longed to have.  He drives a better car, wears nicer clothes, takes more vacations, and another list goes on and on. 
 
What is it, you want right now, that you want to ask God to provide?  Here is your chance.  Make a wish list.  Let me help you, by making a list of some things that I have personally wished for. 

New truck, new house, a complete new wardrobe, a big fat bank account, a bass boat, fame, an iPad, safety and health for my family, Caribbean cruise, a trophy buck in my gun sights,  (I could keep making this list forever!)  Does your wish list look anything like mine?

I was on a roll with my list, then I thought about a quote I read earlier today.  It goes like this:
"What you take for granted, someone else is praying for. What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?"       OUCH!

Look back to the top of the page and read, really read and absorb the two Bible verses.  And there is one more verse I wish to share with you.   It's from Philippians 4:11-13 and the pen of our old friend, Paul:

"I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. "  
   
Someday I may have everything on my wish list.  On the other hand, my earthly life may come to an end before I have anything from the list.  That teaches me to be content with what I have, knowing all gifts are from God, and it is he who calls me to do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.  While that makes my wish list "not so important," it enriches my life for God when I know he is my source for all things.

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>        

No comments:

Post a Comment