Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Your Shepherd



Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

Most of us have known this Psalm as far back as we can remember.  The text from the NIV may read a little more differently than the version we memorized as kids, but the thoughts are the same. 

The popularity of this psalm comes from various events and happenings in our journey as God's children.  Perhaps you remember it as a source of strength, a place to find words of encouragement during one of life's rough moments.  The verses have also been read or recited in countless funeral sermons.

For just a moment today, think with me of what is actually being said in this psalm.  Speaking of  the Lord being our shepherd, we have confidence we will be cared for like helpless sheep are tended by their shepherds.  Therefore, we will experience the provision of the Lord, and lack nothing. 

Read through the interior verses of the psalm and learn of God's guidance, his abiding presence, and even his comfort for all the rough times we experience.  All of these things point to the truth of God's mission for being in a loving relationship with his people. 

The ultimate blessing of the psalm is pronounced in the closing lines, as we have the assurance we will dwell in God's house eternally.  Praise be to God. 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment