Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I want to die for Jesus.....

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.” Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”  Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!"  John 13:34-38

Jesus was preparing his closest followers for his departure. Peter had been an important part of the events in Jesus' ministry, so it is not surprising to us to see that Peter wanted to follow Jesus where he was going. Even though Jesus had said that where he was going, you cannot follow me now, but you will follow later. Peter wouldn't stand for that. Notice what he said.  "Why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you." Jesus replied, "Will you really?  Will you lay down your life for me? The truth of the matter is, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times."

Peter had the same problem many of us have. He was making promises and declarations with his mouth which he really wasn't capable of keeping. We know the story, Peter ended up denying Jesus three times, just as Jesus as predicted.  While Peter might have had the understanding  that following Jesus could lead to his death, at that moment other things were pressing.  He was still wrestling with why he couldn't go with Jesus, and he was perplexed at Jesus' insistence that Peter was going to deny him three times before the rooster crows in the morning. 

We, too, might be ready and willing to let Jesus hear us say that we are willing to die for him, and go to be with him. In reality, we are like Peter and find our connection with this life is more powerful than our commitment to the Lord.  Even the strongest and closest followers of Jesus, in Bible times and in our day have difficulty in understanding our Lord's mission and methods. 

It hadn't been too long since the disciples were arguing among themselves about which one would be the greatest and have a seat of honor next to Jesus in his kingdom. We can detect jealousy in the ranks of the very ones Jesus had chosen to follow him.  Those who had witnessed his miracles, listened to his teaching, experienced his love, and heard all the parables, were still squabbling over prestigious positions.  Maybe we do not argue over the same things with our brethren today, but a major hindrance to the success of most churches stems from the way we treat each other.  And before we speak up first and loudest, that we are perhaps the only ones willing to lay down our lives for Jesus, we need a dose of reality and understanding that we probably wouldn't. 

With the departure announcement Jesus was making, we must hold on to his opening remarks on this matter.  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”  No, Lord, I want to die for you! Jesus was telling Peter and us, " the better thing you can do for me is love each other. It is by your love for one another that all men will know you are my disciples."  Even greater that dying for Jesus, is living for him, being his disciple, and demonstrating his love. 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment