Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Purpose, Presence & Power


It always amazes me at the extremes to which God goes to get his message proclaimed.  The Hebrew writer begins his letter letting us know that God spoke in earlier times through the prophets.  Further interest is kindled when we read of these prophets and the ways God called on them to the mission of speaking the Father's meaningful word to the people.

 Jeremiah 1 tells of the challenge Jeremiah faced, followed by God's persistence and assurance.  Let's focus on the meat of their conversation beginning in verse 7.

But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.

Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”   Jeremiah 1: 7-10



Jeremiah says God instructed him not to say he was too young.  In the next sentence God told him, You must go to everyone I send you to.  That's very significant, not just the command, but the words "I send you."  That statement lets Jeremiah know that God has a purpose in mind.



There's more.  God continues his conversation with Jeremiah with the assurance, "I am with you."  God would not have Jeremiah tackle this task alone. The promise of God was even greater with these words. He promised his presence.
 

The next declaration of God came with some action on God's part when he reached out and touched Jeremiah's mouth, while telling him, "I have put my words in your mouth."  So in addition to God's purpose and his presence, God wants Jeremiah to know his words are spoken by the power of God.
 

Our recent study of the Great Commission show how God equips us with the same things.  Knowledge of that should cause us to overcome our fears of sharing God's message with others. 
 Read again the words of Jesus, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  Matthew 28:18-20

As you consider your dedication to God, your willingness to do his will, and your love for the lost, look closely at  Jesus' words and you will see for your life personally, God has a purpose, He supplies his presence,  and he empowers you to do his will. 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment