Pages

Monday, March 2, 2015

Gone to the dogs


This comes from the "Now I've heard it all," department.  Dedicated dog owners in Japan are in a state of depression and some are outright angry.  Organized funerals for their pets have been planned and some have already happened.  Maybe I should explain, the dogs in this story are robot dogs. 

Manufactured by Sony, since 1999, the "take home" version has been around since 2006.  Initially, the first 3,000 in production sold out immediately.  The price was a little over $2000 each.  The amazing part of the story is not the 3,000 sold immediately, it's the 150,000 robot dogs sold since.

For several years Sony had repair centers where you could take your robotic dog for repair or replacement parts.  The eventual demise of the dogs is blamed on Sony, because they are closing all their repair centers.  Sony complains replacement parts are running low and doesn't want to lose money on stocking all the parts for dog robots which are close to wearing out anyway.

Yes, I know all this sounds a little like some of the changes in Medicare, but I promise that isn't the purpose of our topic today.  I just cannot get over these poor souls in Japan who may need to purchase a controller or an on-off switch for their dog, but now that is no longer possible.

All this has led to funerals for the robot dogs, often times up to 20 dogs at a time are memorialized in special funeral services and their previous owners are experiencing anxiety, grief, depression over a bucket of mechanical and electronic parts.

It makes me think of my real dog, PD, age 16,  deaf and well on his way to losing his sight.  I wish I could go to some store and buy him some new ears, and maybe get him tested and fitted for contact lenses.  Then I remembered PD's ailments bother me, much more than they bother him.  He is still excited when I come home (unless he is asleep and can't hear me in the house.)  His eyesight problems lead to his getting lost in the front yard or not being able to find the front door.  I also remember how excited he gets when it's time for a treat.  I think of how happy it seems to make him when someone comes to the house.  But, sorry, PD, replacement parts not available.

Then I think of me, blessed to be able to do the things I can do, but moving slower than some and not able to do all the things I want to do.  Oh, the problems of getting older.  And the forgetfulness, and the weakness, and the aches and pains.   Yes, I have had parts replaced and repaired, hip joint replacement and broken leg repairs, all within the abilities of medical science. 

But there really is a difference.  The Bible tells me in no uncertain terms, "I am not my own.  I am bought with a price."  It also tells me that my body, with all its imperfections and weaknesses, is the "temple of the Holy Spirit."  Jesus' blood bought me, so I belong to him.  Opening my heart and making room for the presence of God's Holy Spirit brings me peace, assurance, guidance, and strength.  I know God is with me and for me, because he has loved me and made me special to him.........even when I am feeling like a dog.

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment