Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Bring on the snakes!


Let's talk today about lessons learned.  First this story:

If you remember, a couple of years ago I had to have hip replacement surgery.  Yes, it slowed me down a bit, but the healing was fast and I was approaching an "almost normal" condition.  Then the unthinkable happened when I fell and landed squarely on my new hip.  I can testify the new hip, being made of stainless steel, survived the fall and was not damaged.  The problem came when x-rays revealed the femur (upper leg bone) which the hip replacement mechanism attaches to the rest of the leg, was broken in three separate places.  I had the choice of surgical repair, or I could walk on crutches or remain in a wheelchair for 8-10 weeks to allow the bone to heal itself.  I chose the latter.

Since all the down-time allowed my femur to grow and seal off the cracks from the fall, I was learning to walk again. To some degree, that process continues to this day, but at least my mobility is almost close to normal.

I have determined there is something lacking.  I can't walk fast, and I cannot run.  That is probably coming from my fear of falling again and suffering more injuries.  I have just determined not to get in a hurry because there are not too many people my age that needs to do any running. 

Last week, while working to put together an estate sale, I was digging around an old tree stump, to reveal some decorative pieces the owner of the house had placed near the stump.  Being a country home, there were some rusty "treasures" which would go great in the upcoming sale. 

Then I spotted one of those treasures. There was a stack of several pieces of cast iron cookware, all having just the right amount of rust to be wall hangers in a country kitchen.  I leaned down and grabbed the handle of an overturned cast iron skillet.  As I picked it up, I quickly realized there was some movement under the skillet, and a snake made his way in a direction away from me.  That was happening at the same time I was RUNNING in a direction away from him.  I must have trotted a total of 10 steps and jumped to land on an elevated wood deck.  Safe at last, but just realizing I actually ran and jumped. 

Lesson learned?  When the necessity is present, we can usually do things we never dreamed of doing.

I remember that snake the Bible mentioned in the days of Adam and Eve.  Snakes have been despised since the beginning.  Buy my snake taught me I can do something I didn't think I would ever do again.

Now I am thinking of other things which stir a little fear on the inside.  For me, one of those fears comes when I am in a position to be a witness for Jesus and his Gospel.  I know it's part of God's plan for each of us to share our faith, but too many times, we are afraid.  So I say, "Bring on the snakes."  Just maybe they can cause us to be a people for God, saying and doing God's will, without fear.  Paul said, "I can do all things through Jesus, who gives me strength."   He is also your strength to love the lost, so much that your life can be the witness and testimony for which they search.

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment