Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Who I Was and Who I Am


Most mornings when I wake up, I turn on the TV to one of the news channels so I can learn what happened in the world while I was sleeping.  After listening to the same news stories repeated several times, I see a commercial from one of the national weight-loss products.  Yes, I know.....it's not something I want to see before breakfast, especially those commercials which show the "before and after" pictures.  I have thought about hiring myself out as the "before" model, but have never qualified for the "after" pictures. 

All this got me to thinking about the before and after descriptions of a Christian.  Then I thought about some who have tried to take on the name of Jesus, yet there are no changes or improvements.  There is nothing to differentiate the before and after.
 
Paul's writing to the Ephesian Christians in Ephesians 2, gives us in accurate detail, the before and after pictures of Christian people.  

”As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus."   Ephesians 2:1-6

From the notes in my NIV Study Bible, here are the descriptions presented:

Before                                                                              After
Dead in transgressions.........................................Made alive with Christ
Objects of wrath..................................................Shown God's mercy and salvation
Followed the ways of the world...........................Stand for Christ and the truth
God's enemies......................................................God's children
Enslaved to Satan.................................................Free to love and serve with Christ
Followed our evil thoughts and desires................Raised up with Christ to glory

That contributes such a greater perspective on who we are in Jesus Christ.  Further, we can understand from those verses the futility of attempting this thing called "life" without him.  As I look at the verses from the Bible, and see the comparison chart from the notes in the study Bible, there is no way I can survey the arrangement of words without making a personal application. 

What about you?  Where do you see yourself? 

I now visualize Paul, the seasoned apostle, laying it all out in front of his audience. He lets them know what they are without Jesus, and what they can become with Jesus.  His words in this letter, written centuries ago, are just as true and just as fresh for you and me.  Jesus welcomes and invites you to eternal life. 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment