Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

An Example From Jesus

Are you comfortable with your Christian life?  I have to answer that I am more than comfortable with God and his love and provision for me.  I am happy when his grace is greater than my wildest expectations.  I am honored that Jesus gave his life as a sacrifice for my sins. I want Jesus to belong to me and I want to belong to him.

That may all sound nice, but consider this verse:  "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps."  1 Peter 2:21

The God who loves you wants us to know this because Jesus has certainly suffered for us.  Now Peter is telling us Jesus left us an example, that we should follow in his steps.  Christians are to expect some suffering. If we are going to follow in his steps, suffering will be a part of following him.

When you accepted God's call on your life and became a disciple of Jesus Christ, it was more than a following of the blessings associated with wearing Jesus' name.  According to scripture that following is not only associated with the forgiveness of our sins and the promise of eternity, it also means we follow the example of Jesus in regard to suffering.

Paul said in Philippians 1:29,  "For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him."

But Jesus said, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."  Matthew 5:11

Does it change your commitment to the Lord, when you learn that suffering will be involved?  It shouldn't.  In fact, when we think of all that God has done and continues to do for us through Jesus Christ, and when we think of our bodies becoming the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit, and we think of the glorious blessings of eternity, any suffering we are called upon to experience, is an honor.

ronbwriting@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment