Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2016

I Remember Memorial Day

I know I am a few days early in writing a post about Memorial Day.  I just wanted to give you a few days to think about how you will be celebrating the day when we remember those who sacrificed everything for our freedom.  This coming Monday will be a day of memory.  I am challenging you to think of some special way you can show your appreciation to those who lost their lives in service to our country.  It will also be a day of relaxing or perhaps sharing time with our families.  Just meet the challenge and think about how you are going to show your appreciation for those who have died.

My memory of Memorial Day takes me back to a day when I was 10 years old.  My family was visiting relatives that weekend in Wingate, Texas, staying at the home of my grandfather, W.W. Wheat. I remember arriving that Friday evening at the grandparents house, and there were small American flags everywhere.  My grandfather had accepted the task of placing an American flag on the graves of all the veterans buried in the local cemetery.  I know he was proud to do his work, he himself being a veteran of World War I.  I also know it was difficult for him to go to every veteran's grave because he knew most of them personally.  Most difficult was placing the flag on the grave of his own son, Cullen, who died in World War II.  There has not been a Memorial Day since that day I spent with my grandfather placing the flags, that I haven't thought about the difficulty of his job.

My family's history serving in the military is a rich heritage for me. Physical disabilities kept me from serving, but both my mom's and dad's side of the family was represented well in serving their country.  I appreciate each one, and the part they played in making my country free.

Just today, I heard another story on the TV news about someone burning an American flag.  I continue to be saddened by court decisions directed toward the removal of the Ten Commandments from our public buildings.  I'm hurt because our own government leaders have led us further away from being a Christian nation.  I pray Christians can seek God's blessings for our country again. That decision is really ours and God tells us how.  Look at 2 Chronicles 7:14..........

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

ronbwriting@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment