Pages

Friday, March 24, 2017

The Running Man


The man was on the run.  His pursuers were close behind.  Fear filled his entire being.  Not knowing where to turn, not feeling the safety he longed for, he felt alone and afraid. 

Have you ever been that desperate?  Afraid of what might happen if you were overtaken by those who were chasing you, and seemingly having nowhere to turn, no way of escape, alone and afraid, what would you do?

The man in our story is David.  His pursuers were the Philistines.  David was in quite a predicament. The account of what he did about his situation is recorded in Psalm 56.  Look at the beginning verses of the Psalm.  

Be merciful to me, my God,
    for my enemies are in hot pursuit;
    all day long they press their attack.
My adversaries pursue me all day long;
    in their pride many are attacking me.

David cries out to God in his desperation.  One lesson we learn from him here, is David's prayer to God  comes before his own attempt to solve the problem.  Yes, he was in trouble, but as the verses which follow will show, David has not forgotten God.

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
    In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?

We find ourselves in disturbing circumstances, too.  If you read the remainder of Psalm 56, you will find more of what David faced, and more of how he depended of God for his deliverance.   The latter verses of the chapter tell us again of David's trust in the Lord.  But there is even more.  Look at verses 12-13.

12 I am under vows to you, my God;
    I will present my thank offerings to you.
13 For you have delivered me from death
    and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
    in the light of life.

David had learned, as we must learn, even in desperation, God longs to demonstrate his power and willingness to rescue his people.  When we do not know where to turn, God says, "turn to me."  You see, the phrase, "In God we trust," is not only the mark on our currency in America, it's the mark on the heart of every child of God. 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment