Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Losing an Arm at the Shoulder


The story of Job in the Old Testament is one which causes us to wonder why God would let such a faithful servant suffer so much. The loss of  his possessions, his family, his relationships, is all hard for us to understand. Even Job expressed some wonder at why all the bad was happening to him. But God chose this man teach all humanity that loss of everything doesn't have to mean loss of our faith and our determination to maintain our allegiance to God.  The story today comes from a segment of Job where he is still trying to determine why all these bad things are happening to him.  Job 31 has him assessing his life and trying to find out if he has done something to make God treat him this way.  In his evaluation there are lessons for us to learn. 

Job 31:19-22
19 if I have seen anyone perishing for lack of clothing,  or a needy man without a garment, 20 and his heart did not bless me  for warming him with the fleece from my sheep, 21 if I have raised my hand against the fatherless,  knowing that I had influence in court, 22 then let my arm fall from the shoulder, let it be broken off at the joint.

Are you willing to pray, "Lord, I have helped clothe the needy, and the orphans, but if I have neglected to raise a hand to help just one, then let my arm fall off ?"  In shame I confess I would be armless.

The usual response to situations like these is:  I am only one person and my resources are limited so I couldn't be much help. Here are some suggestions for your consideration:  1. Volunteer - find a charitable organization or  church that is ministering to the needs of people, and offer your help. 2. Pray - In prayer, seek the direction God would have you go in using your abilities to bless others. 3. Give - Use your resources, no matter how small, as an example for others who have a passion for touching the lives of the needy. 

Read and live Matthew 25:37-40.
 Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’  40 “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment