Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Consider All The Data


I remember well the day I told dad I was going to go look at a new (used) car. He and I had both been looking around to find a replacement for a car that had become undependable.  So there I was, on my way out the door, when dad said he wanted to go with me.  It was my choice to go alone, but he insisted that he go, claiming he just wanted to ride along and examine the car with me. This was all happening in 1967, and what I hadn't told dad was we were going to look at a Mustang, the vehicle of choice for all the guys that were really cool.

We drove up to the residence where the advertised car was for sale, and I immediately felt the ice cold silence of disapproval.  I couldn't hold back my first reaction to seeing the shiny red automobile of my dreams, and I blurted out, "I wonder how fast it will go?"  Dad never changed expressions, but said, "I wonder how good the brakes are?" It took a few years, but I finally understood dad's wisdom.  The speed of the car was not relevant, when compared to its ability to safely stop.

I further learned the same truth after passing my ham radio license test, and reading the suggestions for purchasing equipment. Those who had been in ham radio for a long time were all telling me to spend a little more money on a receiver, and a little less money on the transmitter. On the surface I disagreed, because I wanted a powerful transmitter so I could talk all the way around the world.  Then it dawned on me, talking to someone on the opposite side of the globe would not be worth much, if I couldn't hear them when they talked back to me.

 Considering all the data before making decisions in our lives is very wise.  Dad knew the value of safely bringing a car to a halt as opposed to the temptation of keeping the speedometer pegged at the highest speed.  My friends in ham radio helped me in making the decision to purchase equipment which would adequately receive as well as transmit. 

Would it surprise you to know that Jesus wants us to consider some important things before we become one of his disciples?  In Luke 14:28 he gives us the picture of a man building a tower.  Jesus asks, "Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?"  Then he gives the story of a king that is about to go to war with another king and suggests that he needs to consider the size of his army and the size of the army of his opponent. It is similar to his teaching in Matthew 10, starting in verse 37, "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  Then in Mark 8:34 Jesus says, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. "  Jesus wants us to consider what it means to follow him, and what it may cost us to follow him. Are we willing to deny our choices , and follow the purposes of Jesus for our lives?  The Bible warns us it might lead to ridicule from our friends, or rejection from our family, or even death. 

The person who is completely wrapped up in his own abilities and strengths will probably keep on trusting himself.  For those of us who recognize the impossibility of going it on our own, and our constant battle with sin, will seek to serve Jesus and accept his forgiveness. Giving up self and following him can bring the assurance of his presence every step we take.

 Paul told the Roman Christians to "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, wholly acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service."

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment