Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

The Coach Believes in Me


I never was a big fan of soccer, at least until recent years when grandson, Reagan, started playing.  He is quite the soccer player now at age 10, and eats, sleeps, and probably dreams soccer. His interest and participation in soccer is probably what caused me to keep reading when I noticed that a blogger which I follow had a soccer-related article recently.  

Daniel Harkavy writes a blog that often deals with leadership, and is a speaker in leadership conferences for business, churches, civic groups, and just about any group that requires information and training in leadership.  Recently he spoke of visiting with the man sitting next to him on a flight, and learning the man was Linus Rhode, head coach of the Oregon State Beavers, women's soccer team.  Their visit included talks about their families, careers, hobbies and interests and regular chit-chat.  Then Harkavy had to ask, "What makes for a successful team?"  Here is Rhode's answer:

Belief, it starts with you as the coach. You have to believe your team can win and, more impor­tantly, all play­ers on your team must know that you believe in them. Play­ers have to know that you, as com­man­der in chief, have a belief in them that they can get the job done. If they trust that you believe in them, they will be will­ing to extend their com­fort lev­els to accom­plish greater results. Then, they take own­er­ship of the out­comes. Your job as the coach, then, is to guide them lightly and keep them in their lanes. You work to keep them focused on their roles and ulti­mately, the team goal.”

While reading, I could see the wheels turning in Harkavy's head, and I immediately knew the coach's reply would be quoted even more than just in his blog writings, but also in his leadership conferences. 

I want you read the quote, perhaps several times, and see what comes to your mind as a disciple of Jesus. I like the picture I see, of  God, the coach who believes in me. I often wonder why, because of my sins and blunders and wrong decisions, but God does believe in me. For the proof of that, I only need to look at the cross. Or perhaps I need to be reminded that God lives in me in the form of His Spirit.  Yes, God believes in me and believes I can win.  Follow me throughout the above quote, which will cause us to ask some questions of ourselves.  Do we, as a team of God's people, know and trust he believes in us?  The coach says, "If they trust that you believe in them, they will be willing to extend their comfort levels to accomplish greater results."  What a powerful spiritual application!  That says to me, with God in control and believing I can get the job done, I am empowered to achieve greater things, and work for him in areas I previously avoided because of the fear of failure.  He has promised to be with us and never leave us.  He is guiding us and "keeping us in our lanes."  He is there to keep us "focused on our roles and ultimately, the team goal." 

This analogy brings us pictures of God that we would rarely consider. We call him a loving God and a providing God without considering he is the God who is faithful.....believing in us and guiding us to victory.  Our problems  and difficult times are things he is concerned with, but he knows we can win. He leads us in victory over our unkind words, our impure thoughts and even our spiritual laziness.  He is the Coach and His Word is our playbook. The victory is ours.  All glory is his. Praise him for believing in you. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment