Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Getting low on uncles



I am running low on uncles these days, having lost two in just over two months. My mom's brother Arley passed away early Friday morning.  I don't know about you, but when I learn of the death of a relative or close friend, my mind begins to wander on memories of past events. 

Arley leaves behind his wife Joy, son Larry, and daughter Debbie, all of which are a testimony to how loving a family can be. I wouldn't try to say anyone was an example of perfection. My uncle's family, just like my family and your family, experienced times on the mountain peaks and times in the valley.  The thing that sticks in my mind about Uncle Arley, is the positive attitude he showed to others even when it would have been normal for him to be negative. 

My example for this reaches back into the 1960's when the house they lived in flooded in a rare west Texas flood. Then, some years later, after the family moved to Glasscock County, they came home from work to discover their house had burned to the ground. That's enough to cause any man to wonder if there was anything good in the world. Arley seemed to take it in stride and start again with determination and faith that things could turn around. 

I remember when I was very young Arley was helping my dad install a TV antenna on the roof of our house. Dad was on the roof, Arley was on the ground, and my job was to relay information concerning the quality of the picture on the TV, to Arley, who would pass the information on to dad, who would adjust the antenna a little to the right, then left, to see if we could get a better quality picture. I do know I made numerous trips from outside to the living room to see if the picture quality was getting better or worse. Dad made more adjustments, I was tired of being the runner, so when Arley told me to go look at the TV, I said something like, "You aren't my boss!" It only took one thump on the head for me to discover at that moment, he WAS my boss. Oh, and another thing I learned from Arley was he does that head thumping thing when you shoot at his chickens with a BB gun. 

Arley was also a great example of serving the Lord. I know he served as a Deacon in several churches they attended over the years. He had a good head on his shoulders for leading and working in the day to day tasks involved with churches. His example of service will continue to be seen in the lives of his children and grandchildren, as well as in the lives of others who served along with him. He was not one to claim any glory from his accomplishments, because he knew the glory always belongs to God. 

My wandering thoughts about Arley today, include thoughts of Uncle W.F. who passed away in February, and of my dad, who died a number of years ago. I thought of family gatherings where they would be involved in domino games, teasing grandkids, talking about the good ole' days, and playing practical jokes. Those thoughts lead me to wish for those days again, but I realize now it's my turn to tease grandkids, play dominoes, etc.  That leads me to anticipate the great reunion when tears will be wiped away, and we get to see Jesus. I am blessed to be in a family where spiritual things are a priority and the most important goal we have is to join our loved ones in God's eternal home. 

I am praying for God's loving comfort for Joy, the kids and grandkids, and for all who will miss him.

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment