Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Practicing the intercessory prayer



Luke 18:7
 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?

We continue with our studies on the subject of intercessory prayer.  We have learned this is one of the highest callings for every Christian.  It is an important action in which we have the opportunity to pray for someone else.  One of the most eye opening truths in Scripture is when we learned intercessory prayer is actually something God expects from us. 

Let us reason for a moment.  According to the teachings of Jesus, we are to love God, and we are to love each other. If we are to manifest a loving attitude toward others, and some of them are struggling and suffering, then it is the natural inclination of the Christian to pray for them.

This is really driven home to us this week with the suffering and need of the residents in Moore, Oklahoma. I do not know anyone living in Moore. None of them know me. I have no real reason to be interested in any of them, other than the fact that I, as a Christian, feel their hurt and can only imagine their struggles. I can donate some money, I can contribute to food drives to help feed them, I can assist with loading some of the trucks of goods being sent to Moore from my community. All those are good and even expected as we try to assist them through such rough times. 

The greatest thing I can do is take them with me to the very throne room of God and seek His provision of comfort and peace in their hearts. That is called intercessory prayer.  I can pray for the first responders and medical workers, that they can provide the attention that is needed. I can pray for the child that experienced such a frightening event. I can pray for those families which lost loved ones. I can pray for those who rebuild power lines, those who repair water mains, even those who help to clean up the debris.

James tells us, "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."  If we really believe that, and can fathom the multitude of prayers from all Christians, then we can know we have honored God and helped our hurting neighbors throughout this horrible calamity. 

I love the faith in the statements of the Oklahoma residents who proclaim, "We will rebuild!"  They have rebuilt before and I think we will see them come back stronger than ever. The days ahead will be difficult, yet I am confident they will succeed. 

I am calling on you to do what you can do to help. Your prayers will be appreciated by those who suffer. Your loving words of encouragement will forever be remembered. We have lots of praying to do!

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment