Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Come as you are



At church last Sunday we sang one of the contemporary songs, one which incorporated as the chorus, an older, more traditional song.  Since I am a fan of both varieties I liked the song.  After church I heard someone say they liked the song, too, but didn't know the part that was contemporary. 

The traditional song which was a part of our worship was, "Just As I Am."  While we were singing that part of the song, it brought back memories of the hundreds of times I participated in singing the song at the end of a sermon, as the congregation was given a time for reflection, repentance, or some other decision which would bring them closer to God.  

How long as it been since you reflected on the words of "Just as I Am?"  They may seem routine since we have used that song for so many years, but they are powerful in the message they bring.

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


Which verse relates to you, personally?  Perhaps more than one.  All of them?  As you read them again, feel the release from problems, worries, schedules, illness, even death, when we sing and pray, "O Lamb of God, I come, I come."

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment