Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Who is in charge here?



I heard a discussion on talk radio this week about an asteroid from another galaxy that is supposed to make a major collision with planet Earth, sometime around the year 8025.  I wanted to let everyone know about it, so you would have ample time to prepare. 

A big part of me wonders if the planet will survive until then, taking into account all the turmoil happening during present days.  From wars to storms, crimes to earthquakes, corruption to disease, you name it, it seems to be in the news daily. 

How are we to maintain some degree of faith in God's ability to be in control when everything around us seems to be out of control?   Before we address that, let's be sure we understand when everything isn't going our way, it doesn't mean life is out of control.  Yes, there are some bad things happening in our world, and we still face disappointment daily when confronted with sickness, financial problems, neighbor troubles, work issues, and more.  But we should be drawing ourselves closer to God's Word, especially to settle the issue of who is in control.   Consider these verses:

Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Joshua 1:9  Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Isaiah 41:10  Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

2 Timothy 1:7  For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Romans 8:28   And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose

 

It bothers me a bit that a couple hundred generations after me are going to have to deal with that asteroid.  I do tend to worry when people I love are suffering from disease. I will continue to be concerned over the war-torn countries in my world.  I'm learning such worry and concern are a part of daily living.

 

The other angle on this is, I am totally devoted to letting God be God, especially in the areas where I am not knowledgeable enough, nor talented enough to settle the world's problems. At most, I can only rely on God being  in control.  He knows what is best in all situations. He promises to be with us and uphold us. 

 

The beginning of such a relationship with God happens when we step aside and invite the one who made us, to continue to mold us to be the people he wants us to be, yielding our will to his.  This verse needs repeating, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment