Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Let the celebration begin!


There is an interesting story in Genesis 24 about Abraham, in his old age, arranging for a bride for his son, Isaac.  You must understand the different customs of those days and some of the things that transpired in the arrangement might seem strange.

Abraham talked one of his servants in to making a trip back to their home country to find Isaac a wife, because he had promised he would not take a wife for Isaac from the Canaanites.  So the servant set out on his search for a bride, taking with him a team of camels, and gifts for the girl's family and for the girl herself.

It's interesting reading if you wish to take the time to read the whole story and learn of the planning that went into the deal to make Rebekah Isaac's wife.  You should go read the story for yourself to learn all the details, but I will tell you, it involved Rebekah returning to meet the man she was going to marry, wearing the gold bracelets he had sent as gifts.  Another gift was the gold ring for her nose.  (The nose ring is not suggested for today's weddings.)   The point is, there was celebration and the adornment of gold and all things "flashy" because of the importance of the wedding.

Even in our culture, both men and women will wear jewelry when there is a special occasion.  The celebrations at such events seem to put us into a mood for fun and enjoyment.  Tonight I witnessed the TV coverage of just such an important event. 

"My" San Antonio Spurs were victorious in winning the NBA Championship last June, and tonight, in the first game of the new season, all the coaches, support staff, and players were awarded their rings. Gold rings with lots of diamonds. It was certainly a time for celebration.

While watching the ring presentation on TV, I began thinking of the celebration with singing and dancing and happiness when Jesus returns.  That will be the marriage feast of the Lamb. That is when we, by God's grace, will meet Jesus face to face, knowing it was his sacrifice that paid for our sins.  There will not be a dry eye, nor will there be a frowning face.  

We can say with Paul, " I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."

On the basis of my own righteousness I am nothing and will never receive the eternal reward.  But praise be to God, because of the righteousness of Jesus, covering me and washing me clean, the crown will adorn my head, and also be awarded  to everyone who has longed for the return of the Lord.

That's a celebration I do not want to miss!

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment