Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Praying God's Word



49 Remember your word to your servant,
    for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this:
    Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully,
    but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws,
    and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked,
    who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song
    wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name,
    that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice:
    I obey your precepts.         
Psalm 119:49-56

After reading the selected verses above, pick one verse which speaks to you and your situation in life.  When you have a verse selected,  turn it into your personal prayer for the day.  To really make it meaningful, memorize the verse, repeating it verbally several times during the day. 

If I were to pick the first verse, which is verse 49 from Psalm 119, my prayer might sound something like this:

Lord, I delight in remembering your word to me, because your word gives me hope.  I confess to living with my hopes in things of this world and all it offers. I have placed my confidence in my own abilities to overcome, my trust has been in my strength.  Teach me, Lord, the hope that comes only through placing everything I am and have, in you. Continue to bless me and strengthen me in the knowledge of your word as I learn to receive the hope only you can give.  Amen.

As you read the verses again, you may choose to select more than one and go through the same routine of memorization and application in prayer form.  Feel free to go further and make your prayer from each of the verses. 
  
This exercise gives us all a glimpse into a practice called "praying the scriptures."  Devote yourself to reading and praying the words of scripture and you will see greater understanding of God's truth, as well as the joy of making the Word becoming more of a personal message to you. 

God bless, and I always like hearing stories from our readers.  Let us know how you are blessed from this exercise of prayer. 

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment