Pages

Friday, July 15, 2016

Open MY Eyes



One of the most stirring songs of worship is "Open the Eyes of My Heart,"  by Michael W. Smith.  Today as we are looking forward to the weekend and to worship on Sunday, I want you to consider the words of this song.  Your consideration will do an amazing amount of good in preparing you for worship. 

We do need to prepare ourselves for worship, you know.  The busy lives we lead in our work schedules, the kids' soccer games, movies, entertaining friends, school activities, and all the other "stuff," I am saying we need to take a few moments and allow ourselves to get into the proper frame of mind and in an attitude of worship.   The words to this song will help you. 

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy.

Holy, holy, holy
We cry holy, holy, holy
You are holy, holy, holy
I want to see you.

Perhaps we should examine what we expect from worship.  Think about those who lead us when we sing, or those who lead us when we pray, or the one who delivers a message from the word.  We expect these people to be prepared enough to lead us.  More than that, we want them to pass our inspection. While I agree with them being prepared to lead worship, I must remind you that we are not the audience in worship, God is.  We are singing praise to him, praying to him, learning about him, and to share with others who have gathered to worship him. 

Do you wish to worship and actually experience the presence of God?  Will you go to worship in the hopes God can help you with some problem or deliver you from the hurt of sin?   Would you want worship to be more than going through the motions while saying and doing the same things week after week?  I'm suggesting you meditate on scripture and even the words of this song, to help you prepare to be in God's presence. 

Even in partaking of the Lord's Supper, we need to be preparing ourselves.  Scripture says we should examine ourselves.  I say we should also pray the words of this song, "Open the eyes of my heart, Lord,  I want to see you."

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment