Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

A word of warning



I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I was feeling grown up because mom and dad had said "yes" to the pleadings of myself and my older brother. We were visiting grandparents and that was our first chance to go to the creek alone, with our fishing poles and a bucket of worms. Being raised in west Texas where there are no creeks, it is easy to understand our excitement and our anticipation of bringing in enough fish to feed everyone. 

We made our way from the gravel road, climbed across a fence, and walked down to the creek bank. It didn't take long before the hooks were baited and we were impatiently waiting for the first nibble. We heard a vehicle coming down the road and it stopped at about the point where we had crossed the fence.  In a few moments we heard the approaching footsteps of my Uncle David, who couldn't pass up the chance to see who was trespassing on his property. 

After the greetings and talking about all the fish we were going to catch, Uncle David said he wanted to give us a warning.  "I want you boys to be real careful because back in 1928 a boy drowned in this very spot."  My brother and I were fairly good swimmers, but the warning still caused us to be more careful along that creek bank. 

Then I started thinking about the big kerosene heater that was in the living room of my grandparents house, and how in my younger years I was warned not to get too close to it because it was very hot. Yes, I was one of those kids that got a blister on the tip of my finger, because when no one was looking, I just had to touch it and see. 

Warnings are everywhere. They are given for the purpose of saving us from embarrassment or injury or even death. Highway signs warn of us of a dangerous curve.  The librarian points to the "Quiet" sign to warn us not to be too loud. Mom would occasionally say, "This is your last warning," and we knew it was time to behave. 

In the Bible, the book of 1 Peter is a warning against persecution. As much as Peter was devoted to the Lord and to the church, he gives some warnings that our devotion could possibly lead to persecution. History and current events tell us of the persecution of Christians.  Then in the book of 2 Peter, there is another warning, this time it's a warning about false teachers.  So Christians not only have to be aware of those on the outside who persecute us, but those on the inside who teach falsely and lead us astray.

The warnings in Peter's message should remain in our minds so we can be aware and prepared if they should happen. Along with Peter, I encourage you to stay close to the word of God. When we get better acquainted with scripture and its application to us, we begin taking on the nature of Christ. Growing more like him will help us recognize those things which do not come close to resembling him. I say to you again, stay close to the word. It is the word of truth and life. Only God's word can give us the real picture of his love and salvation. Only his word can direct us to victory. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment