Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

When the mess gets worse



I have wrestled today with the post you will be reading tomorrow.  Yes, there are several Bible study devotional messages prepared for posting, but something heavier has been on my heart today. 

While I will never turn this blog into a political discussion site, nor will I ever establish a forum for "taking sides" in political matters, I do feel the need to make some comments and observations about the events and tragedy that struck our nation on 9/11, again. 

It is not news to you that we live in a nation divided. The structure of America with opposing political parties is healthy in respect to allowing our citizens to hear more than one side of a controversy or issue.  It also allows us as a citizen to cast our vote and have a say in selecting our leaders. 

Today I am reliving some of the feelings I had when I personally stood at ground zero and observed the devastation of that Tuesday morning in New York City.  Today I have those feelings again at the news of my country's embassy in a foreign country being under attack resulting in the death of American citizens.

News reports have been filled with name calling and finger pointing as we try to assess who is to blame. There is a constant issuance of questions about who knew what, and when did they know it, and why something wasn't done to prevent another tragedy, and differences of opinion in how everyone should respond. 

It's not my favorite thing to say, but I seem to say it often, "Our country is in a mess!"  I will only add to that by saying the mess isn't getting any better. It seems to be getting worse.

I confess to you that I do not have any answers.  For the Christian who, like me, struggles to determine what our response should be, the answers do not come easy. I would venture to say that even the leaders of Christian movements share in our struggles. 

We have quoted 2 Chronicles 7:14 in situations like this before. This verse seems to be written and directed toward us and the needs we share as Christian Americans on this very day. Read it aloud. 

"If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven."

Regardless of who is to blame, regardless of how many attacks may be in our future, regardless of who wins the Presidential election in November, regardless of your race, your income, or your importance, this one verse should take us to our knees in prayer, seeking God's remedy for our ailing nation and the world. May He bless you as you pray today. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment