Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Answer to a Prayer



Working behind the scenes at the sound board, light board or running the presentation software, that's where you can find me on most Sundays. At the young age of 22 I have already been working back there for 7 years and will be many more. I say this just to bring up the fact that it isn’t the most glorious job in the world, in fact the only time those in the production booth are noticed is when a big noticeable mistake is made. 

I have made my fair share of mistakes and then some, many of them recently. Being a perfectionist (who went to school for this) when even the smallest mistake occurs I feel like I have failed on some grand scale. On a Wednesday where I put Sunday's songs in the presenter software, gave a speaker a mic with a dead battery, and replaced it with another mic that for some odd reason worked on the line test before handing it over and after service but not when the speaker had it.

 I was beginning to wonder why I do this. When I least expected it a young man who for lack of better words was at rock bottom (more than I’m sure I know or could even fathom) walks up into the booth. I was happy to see him but confused as to why he needed a towel at that very moment. Turns out he heard the man up on stage give his testimony before being baptized and wanted to join him upon hearing that Jesus didn’t want people who were perfect but those who were rather imperfect, like him.

 Long story short I was very happy to abandon my post for a moment and get him that towel. The following Sunday, the countryman mic the speaker was given (by me) ended up having a short in it. Despite the offer of others in the booth I decided I would be the one to suck it up and take the blame in front of the congregation via a very public mic exchange.

 Days later a woman approached me to thank me. At first I was a little confused as to why but she explained that lately she had been praying to hear God’s voice more clearly. She hadn’t expected the prayer to be answered by a 22 year old boy! It's easy for me to think of things in my terms as far as what is success and what is failure, what is important and what isn’t, but I think that God measures these things on a drastically different scale. I needed to be reminded of the true purpose of the   equipment in the booth, not to illuminate the stage or make the perfect mix of the worship band but to illuminate God’s love and make His voice heard among His children.  (end)

The above message is from the blog of my great-nephew, Kendon.  What a tremendous insight into the purpose and work of those who are usually behind the scenes. It doesn't have to be in a sound booth or in the area of lighting. It could just as easily be someone who sends a card to those in the hospital or someone who gives rides to the grocery store. As Paul told the Ephesians," For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Even when we make a mistake or create a comical blunder before the entire church, it is such a blessing to know those who are devoted to the work of the Lord are all helping to make God's voice heard among his children. 

<ronbwriting@yahoo.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment