Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

As you sent me, I have sent them......


Each of us has a mission in life.  Jesus prays to his Father for his followers, saying:  "As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world" (John 17:18).

Think about this quote:

We seldom realize fully that we are sent to fulfill God-given tasks.  We act as if we have to choose how, where, and with whom to live.  We act as if we were simply plopped down in creation and have to decide how to entertain ourselves until we die.   But we were sent into the world by God, just as Jesus was.  Once we start living our lives with that conviction, we will soon know what we were sent to do.       Henri Nouwen (from “Bread for the Journey”)

I hope you read that slowly and absorbed every word, especially in relation to our experience with God and the Christian lives we claim to live.  Are you constantly aware that we are sent to fulfill God-given tasks?  Or, are we stuck here on the planet called earth, just to make the choices we are expected to make, following the lead of current society standards?   Do we think we were just dropped at some place in creation, living only to entertain ourselves till we die?

We may verbally answer those questions with a universal answer of "NO," however, the quote began with an accusation that "we seldom fully realize we are sent to fulfill God-given tasks."  I try to think of a statement to use in my defense but even that doesn't come easy.

So, Mr. Nouwen's quote provides the last lines, which should encourage us to be more devoted to God, more loving, more caring, more prayerful, more giving, basically more active in our relationship with him.

Read the quote's last lines again.  But we were sent into the world by God, just as Jesus was.  Once we start living our lives with that conviction, we will soon know what we were sent to do."

Sometimes I think my life is meaningless and going nowhere.  I cannot seem to accomplish good results with some tasks, and often wonder if I have done enough good so I could claim success.  Then, realizing I was sent into the world for a purpose. God has a plan that includes me.  Remember Jesus' prayer for those who were and are his followers, "As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world"

Will we ever grasp that truth, to the point that we maintain the conviction it requires, and ultimately determine the things God would have us to do?  Here are some things I think are necessary for us to accomplish that:

1. A renewed dedication to follow the will of God.   2. A strong life of prayer in which we seek God's direction.  3.  A willingness to share God's truth with others.  4.  An increase in our awareness of the Word, including Bible reading on a regular basis.  5.  Dependence on God's grace and love, allowing him full control.    

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment