Pages

Monday, December 21, 2015

God, In All I Say and Do

Allow an old man to do some remembering as I tell you about the good ole' days.  I know we have made many advancements with our labor saving devices, and things to make our lives much easier to live.  I also know a lot of those things that came in the name of progress have taken us in the wrong direction.

I remember trying to memorize the pledge of allegiance in the first grade, only to have it altered the very next year when they added the phrase, "under God."  Each day at school was started with a prayer, followed by the pledge, then we memorized a Bible verse.  We were taught about freedom and patriotism and the American way.  We learned these things were ours because others had given their lives to insure everyone had the right and the opportunity to live free.  That's the America I long to see again. 

I don't like the thought of taking God out of our pledge of allegiance!  I would like to see the Ten Commandments remain in our public buildings. Our nation was founded on the principles of Christianity and that gives God a place in our schools, in the workplace, in every home and neighborhood.  Yes, you may choose to ignore him if you wish, but your choice to ignore him should not dissolve my freedom to make him a part of everything I do.

I do not have an answer to all that ails our nation, but if I am going to wear the name of the baby born in Bethlehem and take on his likeness as I try to live for him and become more like him, I will believe the answers to our national dilemma lies in the restoration of Christian values throughout our land.

The story of Jesus coming into the world is recorded in John 1.  In that Bible chapter there are numerous statements which declare the importance of his presence.  The one that speaks loudly to me is found in verse 12.  "Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."

ronbwriting@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment