Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Refreshing Your Memory


I hope I have stimulated your thinking about New Year's resolutions.  While there is nothing in Scripture that would instruct us to make them annually, there is certainly scriptural references that will encourage us to always be pressing forward, always be more diligent, and be constantly aware of our need to grow. 

There is a song we used to sing in church that had a dominate theme of resolving to come to Jesus, and it was a song that was usually sang following the sermon as an invitation song. Closer inspection causes me to believe this is a song which could be used at any point in the worship as encouragement to make right decisions toward being a servant of the Lord.  Look at the words of the song:

I am resolved no longer to linger, charmed by the world's delights. Things that are higher, things that are nobler, these have allured my sight. 

I am resolved to go to the Savior,  leaving my sin and strife. He is the true One, He is the just One, He has the words of life. 

I am resolved and who will go with me, come, friends without delay.  Taught by the Bible, led by the Spirit, we'll walk the heavenly way. 

Chorus:  " I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free, Jesus, greatest, highest. I will come to Thee."

In the New Testament book of 1 Peter, the Apostle begins his letter by reminding Christian readers of their confirmation as children of God. He told them to "make every effort to confirm their calling." It's like Peter was encouraging them to refresh their minds often concerning the things they have received and developed in their lives. He was making reference to his earlier statements about faith, goodness, knowledge, self control, perseverance , godliness, mutual affection and love.  And, if these qualities are in them in increasing measure, they will keep them from being unproductive. 

Those qualities are the evidence of Christian service, and yet, there is a need in the life of every Christian to see these qualities increase as long as he is on his journey through life.  It means we need more faith today than we had in times past. It means our lives should manifest more marks of godliness than in previous years.  He is saying the journey is always going to be laced with our commitment to growth and improvement. 

Quoting Peter in Chapter 1:12-13,  "So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live."

We serve a God who continually gives us the necessary ingredients to serve and honor Him, and at the same time enjoy a life of peace and security in Him.  "I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free, Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee."

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment